Friday, April 22, 2011

Sewing Travel Case - Pretty and Functional!!!



I made a new sewing caddy.  It is unbelieveable how many sewing notions I could get into it.  This is a great little carry all to take with you when you travel or go to the doctors office or a ball game.  It is very compact and I love it!  Here are some pictures and I also put on the pattern in case anyone wants to get one.  I purchased mine at a quilting shop a couple of years ago, but I would think you could do a search and find one.  Isn't it cute!!!!!





Sunday, April 17, 2011

New Top Finished!


Well I finished up my new top yesterday.  It was hard to sew the ruffled material.  Trying to keep every ruffle in the right direction for every seam was a pain.  It did turn out pretty cute!    I have enough material left over to make another top.  I am thinking of running this one with the ruffle on a diagonal.  I just don't know if I want two tops out of the same material.  Let me know what you think!







Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Changing The Pattern For My New Top!

Well I am just starting on my new top and I decided to change the pattern.  The more I looked at that pattern, the more I didn't like it.  I don't think it will look good with the material that I bought. I picked out a new pattern.  I am going to make it sleeveless and trim the neck edge and sleeve edge with a black trim. My plan is to also add a ruffle to the neck edge.  It should end up just being a nice cool top for summer.  Here is a picture of the new pattern and also one of the muslin that I made up.  As you can see, it is two big in front and I darted that out.  The finished top will not have those darts, I will just cut that out of the pattern and round out the neckline with my french curve.



Saturday, April 9, 2011

This Blouse Will Be My Next Project!

I am going to start on this next week and if you want to follow along, I will post pictures as I go.  I am not exactly sure what kind of fabric this is.  It is a very stretchy knit that I found at JoAnns in the Red tag section.  Even marked down it was very pricey at $12.00 a yard.  I liked the little ruffles on it and I am hoping it has a slimming effect, not the other way around.  Sometimes you just never know what you will end up with when you sew!!  Here is a picture of the material and the pattern!  I am thinking about having the ruffle run up and down even though most of the stretch is in the other direction.  I think this way it will be more slimming.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another Blanket Finished

I have another blanket finished.  This is for my oldest granddaughter.  Only 4 more to go.  I want to get these finished because soon I will be wanting to work outside.  Our weather is still cold here, but  it should be warming up.  I am missing the sunshine!!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jacket Fix

My husband has this jacket and he likes it, but he does not like to pull it over his head.  He asked me if I could put a zipper down the front of the jacket instead of the small zipper opening on top.  It was roomy on him, so I thought I would give it a try.  I measured the front of the pullover and it needed a 25" two way zipper.  Here is how I fixed it.  It came out really nice and I don't think anyone will ever guess I changed the zipper.  He will be surprised when he gets home from work!
I drew a line directly down the center of the jacket deciding to go ahead and just split the front pocket.  I cut it open on the line and removed the top zipper.  I then laid my new zipper along one of the cut lines with the correct side facing the jacket and sewed the zipper to the jacket with my zipper foot.


 Then I flipped the zipper over and stitched the jacket material right next to the zipper. 



When I turned the jacker over, the zipper was kind of flopping on the inside, so I stitched another row of stitching down the front side of the jacket about 1/4 inch away from the first seam and caught the edge of the zipper on the back side in the stitching.  It looks nice and neat and lays nice.  Hopefully, you can see what I did in the pictures.  I only used 1/4 inch of material on the seams by sewing it this way, so I only reduced the jacket total size by 1/2 inch.  This should just work fine.  If you have any questions, just let me know!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Baby Nursing Cover-up Directions

                   Baby Nursing Coverup

                   http://www.cynsew.com/

To watch video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_BOA0HV4Og

STRAP - CUT 1 - 5" X 26"

Fold the strap short ends to meet in the center, press, then fold
again to center.  Sew along both sides of strap with 1/4 inch seam.

BLANKET - CUT 1  44" X 42" in length or ( Just use the full
width of your material X 42")

Turn material with the wrong sides of material facing out.  Measure
out 6 inches from the center on the long side of material for each strap
and tuck strap inside next to the right side of fabric and pin to hold. 
I left one inch hang out past the seam of the material for a good hold on
the neck strap.  Sew up one side and across the top with a 5/8" seam. 
Sew remaining side seam but leave an opening to turn your material
right side out.

Turn right side out, press and sew a decorative edge around outside
of blanket.