Thursday, January 9, 2020

RED AND WHITE QUILT - 7

Good Morning, it is about 4:30am and I am ready to start my day....  Now that the holidays are over with and I hope everyone made many wonderful memories, and I have gotten back to sewing.  I finally finished all 28 of my blocks. Whew!  Glad those are done.















I am moving onto the next project of this quilt and that is the center block.  All I have direction wise is to look at the picture.  Like I said, the directions are not good or maybe they all are like this, I am not sure!  Here is the picture that I am supposed to reproduce.















Here are the directions.  It says to applique the designs.  Ok, I can do this, let me figure something out and what would be the best way for me to handle this.  I also am showing the picture of the leaves that are to be appliqued and the small diagram of how to layout the vines for the leaves to attach to.





























Now, what I did was cut out one-fourth of the above picture on the cross arrows in the center of the picture.  I then put that one-fourth section into my printer and increased the size as far as I could with 8 1/2 X 11 paper.  Then I copied this four times and taped it back together.  I had to take this picture and make it large enough to fit the 18 inch square of material that it will be used on.  I came up with this next picture which isn't perfect but close.















I then centered this onto my 18 inch square of material and used tracing paper and traced around the red design onto my material for a guideline to sew on the vines. 




 Now, instead of doing hand applique which takes a long time, I decided to digitize the sample of the leaves and circles that were given on the direction picture and turn them into an applique that my embroidery machine can sew out.  I had to print that direction picture at 100% to get the correct size of the circles and leaves.  Then as I digitized these designs with Embird Software, I measured each design of leaf and circle on the paper for the size to get everything correct.

Here is a picture of as far as I have gotten as of yesterday!  I wasn't sure at first, but I think this is going to work and be cute!



Once I get finished with this, I do believe all I have left is some more straight sewing to connect all the blocks and I will have all the hard parts over with.  Please let me know what you think!