Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I'm Back - First Project - Travel Trailer Tire Cover

We bought a travel trailer a couple of years ago.  Our plan was we would work really hard to get it paid off and then we would retire.  Well we did it!  Now I am retired.  My hubby will follow at the end of July.  This will work well, and I can get my house spring cleaned before he is ready to do some traveling.  There were a lot of things that I have put off while working.  Last week, I cleaned out the freezer in the basement.  I really had no idea anymore what was even in there.  I found a bag of cookies that I made and was so happy to let them thaw!  That was worth my hard work.  Today, I am going to clean my oven.  It needs it badly!!

Well here we go with my project that I did yesterday.  It was so good to sit down and sew and know that I could work as long as I wanted to and I didn't have to go anywhere!!  I am sure you understand this!!

The spare tire on our travel trailer has a cover on it, but after two years, it was tore.  It was made very cheap and we were going to just purchase a new one, but they wanted over $100.00 for a really good one.  I had some really nice faux leather in my sewing room and I said to myself, why don't I make one.  The first thing I did was take apart the old cover so I could use it as a pattern.  The cord, inside of the old cover that held it on the wheel, was still perfectly fine and when I took it apart the piping was way heavier than I could of purchased and it was still in perfect condition, so I saved that also.  I had everything I needed and did not even have to run to the sewing shop!



What I did in the first picture was cut the old circle in four sections because it was stretched out of shape.  This made it lay nice and flat again in a perfect circle,  I was then able to just trace it onto my new faux leather.  I also pulled out all of the stitching from the piece that goes around the circle so I could measure all the seams and have everything exactly the same.


I then sewed the old piping back around the circle and it came out perfect.  I was worried, but got lucky!


I sewed the sides together and added the elastic back into the ring. This is the gathers at the top. The cord actually looked like a heavy duty bungee cord.  Then all I had left to do was attach this to the round cover.


I used my piping foot for this step, riding along the piping that I attached to the cover and adjusting my needle so it could be very close to the piping.  I wasn't sure if this would work because my piping foot was too small to really fit around this thick piping, but it just seemed to glide along the top and worked great.  


Here is the finished cover.  It was a little bit harder to get on because it was much heavier than the old cheap cover.  It has a few wrinkles in it which I don't like, but I think the sun will warm up the leather and then I will be able to pull those out much easier or my hubby can do it!  I am very happy with the way it turned out.  I even thought of embroidering something on the circle.  Maybe a flag, or something like "Ready to Roll"!  What do you think?  Any ideas for me?

Have a great day and I am so happy to be back!!  Send me a message!

4 comments:

Tara Kuczykowski said...

Very nice! Wish I'd have known you were working on this. We just bought a new one for the JEEP that doesn't look nearly as good.

Cynthia Dickerson said...

Thank you! Now that the leather warmed up after being outside, I was able to pull it and get all the wrinkles out. That makes me feel so much better.


Lee Fogle said...

That turned out really well. Yes, it would look good with something embroidered in the middle. If you do that, please be sure to post a pic.
Congratulations on your retirement! Now we'll be expecting more updates on your blog. :)

Sharon said...

This is our plan was well when we retire but I don't think I will let my husband see your handiwork as I know there are a few items that would really benefit from this post. Enjoy retirement and so glad to see you back.