And here is the under collar. It was cut on the bias and you sew diagonal lines on the canvas at a 45 degree angle and this allows the canvas to move and still be supported. It is not tacked down on the outside edges. It will just meet the seam and then it gets topstitched.
After making the collar you thread a needle with a double thread and take a stitch on the point of the collar. You hold both ends of the thread and pull out the corners and shoot it with a puff of steam. They turn our really nice. I then formed the collar on my ham, shot it with steam and I am letting it set to form a really nice curve to fit the neck.
Next I started on the hidden pockets. These really turned out amazing. I was very happy with them. It was a little tricky, I could not get it in my head how to lay out the pattern pieces. After several tries I finally figured out how they should line up to make the seamline pocket.
Every seam gets pressed with a pressing cloth and a heavy clapper. This is just about the best tool I own for ironing. It really sets a seam by pushing the steam into the material. I just shoot it with a puff of steam and put the clapper on it will a few seconds of pressure and it is perfect and very flat.
Here are my pockets being sewn into the seam. The pockets are actually sewn into the seam line so it does not show until you actually put your hand into the pocket.
Well, its back to work tomorrow and now I won't get to sew again until the weekend. I had to go in for a colonoscopy yesterday. Yuck!! So glad that is over with. I got back home around 9:00am and I was still a little loopy, so I was afraid to sew and mess things up. I am glad I waited until today even though I didn't get as much down as I wanted. It has been cold here this week and we actually saw snow last Saturday. I sure could of used my new coat!! I need to get this finished and I am getting very excited!!! I sure hope it fits after all of this work!!