Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lining For Baskets!

I made some liners for my baskets over the weekend.  They will be going into my bathroom.  My new cabinet is open under the sink and my plan is to put these baskets on the bottom shelf and I measured and they just fit perfectly.  On the top shelf, I am rolling bath towels to keep there.  I don't have enough and the store where I purchased them has been out of them.  They told me they would be in last Tuesday and they didn't come in.  I checked yesterday and still no towels.  It is making me a little nervous.  I want them all to match!  Here are the baskets that I covered.
 
I also have been working on a new video and I would like to finish that this week!  So you can watch for that!  Cynthia

Sunday, July 14, 2013

How To Custom Fit Your Bath Mat!

Well, I am still buying bits and pieces to finish my bedroom and bath.  Today I purchase a new microfiber bathmat.  Oh so soft and cushiony when you step on it!  The only problem I had was with the fit.  As you can see in the following picture, it just did not fit where I wanted it to go.  It was just a little to large. 
What I did was I took my seam ripper and removed the stitches that held the binding on in the area that I was going to remove.  I did not cut the binding or rip out stitches any farther than was necessary.
I marked the area that I was going to cut out as you can see the purple line.  I trimmed a little at a time to get a nice tight fit.
Now here was the hard part for me.  I had to finally learn after all these years the necessity of hand basting.  This was one of those projects that the hand basting was necessary.  I did the hand basting on the top and bottom of the binding to replace it on my new cut edges.  This was necessary to hold the top and bottom  binding in place while I sewed.  For some reason, I just don't like to take the time for this step, but I am learning how much this step helps in these tricky sewing projects.
I have the binding all sewed back on.  There was a rubber substance on the bottom of the mat, so to sew this, I placed a piece of tissue paper under the bottom of the mat.  If I did not use this, it would drag on the sewing machine and be unable to advance to sew.  This is what the rubber substance is for, to hold the mat in place and it did a really good job of that. The tissue paper enabled me to sew easily. After sewing, I just tore away the tissue paper off of the back side of the mat.
All Finished!  Here is what the mat looks like now!  A perfect fit!!  What do women do that don't sew!!!  I just can't imagine!!!

 

Monday, July 8, 2013

Jean Shorts and Fabric Painting!!

Allura, my granddaughter,  has been at it again with the fabric paint.  Tara, my oldest daughter, (Allura's Aunt) sent her a picture of this pair of jeans and she fell in love with them.  She changed things around a bit, but this is her version of the flag shorts.

First we cut an old pair of jeans off to make them shorts and gave them a ragged edge.  All I heard yesterday afternoon after we fringed them and washed them, is are they dry yet??  She was so anxious to get started.  Here are her steps to creating the jeans. 

First we put some old towels in the shorts just in case there would be any fabric paint bleed through.  She then started one edge and used fabric paint to paint the entire section royal blue.
 
 
 
Next she started on the left panel and taped off with painters tape one inch sections and striped the shorts red.  She covered up the fringe at the bottom and around the pockets with the tape, so she would not get any paint on those edges.
 
She then moved back to the right panel and used a stencil and added the white stars.
This fabric paint drys pretty quickly so by the time she finished the stars she could go back over to the left side and she put painters tape over the red paint and added the white paint and she was finished.
Here are the finished jeans!
Aren't they cute!  Please leave her a comment for encouragement.  She is only 12 and really starting to get into designing her own look!