Saturday, July 7, 2012

New Swing Cover That Was Lost In The Storm!!


You might remember reading last May 2011 in a blog post, that I showed how I repaired a torn cover that my brother had over a swing.  Well, he sent me a picture last week and this is what happened to it.



We had another bad storm come through Ohio and actually a tornado touched down just a street over from him.  He was upset because he and my sister-in-law and their grandson sit out here and swing.  I told him to save it for me and I would see if there was anything I could do. 

After looking it over, I decided that I thought I could make a new one and use the torn one as a pattern. 

Here is how I fixed it.  I went to JoAnn's and after measuring, I figured I needed three yards of material.  He didn't want to pay an arm and a leg to repair it.  He called the company and they sell the covers for $125.00.  He said that was almost as much as what he paid for the whole swing.  Three yards of material cost me $17.50.  I purchased a dark green canvas that was mold and mildew treated.  He can just spray it with some water repellent and it should be good to go!

I laid out the old cover on top of my new material to use it as a pattern.  There were some darts in the corners, so I opened them up so I could cut the fabric exactly as they had.  I pinned everything down to the new material trying to put together the pieces of  the torn cover.  It was like putting together a jig saw puzzle.  I meant to take a picture of it pinned on the new material and I completely forgot.  I must of had a "senior" moment!!  Sorry!!



 I then removed all of the piping trim around the torn canopy because it was still in good shape and I planned on reusing it.  That stuff is so expensive and I knew this would save some money.  There was probably about 8 yards or so.



  It had a skirting that hangs down around the cover and after laying out the pieces I noticed that the skirting that I was using as a pattern was stretched out of shape.  So I had to also allow for these stretched out pieces.  I picked the part of the canopy that looked the straightest and then used that as my guide so the canopy would hang nice and straight.  It had pockets in the four corners where the steel pipe of the swing fit into, so I had to measure and remake those.


 There were also two long strips attached that the actual pipe ran through on the underside to attach the canopy.



Here is my finished canopy.  I got it all sewed together and attached the binding around the canopy and I was praying that it would fit!!

Well it does and my brother was very happy with it!!  Here is the finished picture!!



After we attached it, my husband made the suggestion that I should of embroidered their last name on the front panel of the canopy that hangs down.  Soooo, my brother liked that idea and he is going to give it back to me in the fall and I will be adding the family name to it!!  Won't that be cute!! 

Author - Cynthia Dickerson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great! You are a wonderful sister, and I hope you have an appreciative brother!

Cynthia said...

My brother is a plumber, so I happily help him out when needed. He always takes care of all our plumbing needs. I am actually paying him back!!