Sunday, July 29, 2012

Free Novel To Read!!

If you like to read, you can get this book free today from Amazon.  You can download it to a kindle or your computer to read.  The reason I am telling you this is because the author works with my husband and is from our home town of Mansfield, Ohio.  Now, I haven't read it yet, but this is, I think, his fifth book published.  I am going to read it!  You need to have a Kindle or you can click on the "Free Kindle Apps" and it will download to your computer. 

Summer Harvest

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Harvest-ebook/dp/B008ETBJ86/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_.W6eqb0D9TSWZ_tt

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Staining Extension Cords and PVC Pipes!!


I saw this article this morning. You can stain extension cords or PVC pipe. If you would like the directions, please visit the following website.

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Stain-PVC-Any-Color-You-Like/296/1
 








Thursday, July 12, 2012

Free Pattern For Boys Appliqued Shorts!

Aidan's Appliqued Shorts

I saw this free pattern on Fabric.com this morning.  I have a link on the right hand side of my blog and that is where I saw it if anyone would like the pattern.  Looks nice for a beginner!

Ivory Soap Fun Clouds!!!

I watched a couple of my granddaughters yesterday and I saw this project on the internet. It was so much fun! You take a bar of Ivory soap (and only Ivory will work), and place it in your microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds on parchment or wax paper. Turn off your turntable.  I layed parchment paper covering the whole bottom of my microwave. Put your soap towards the back of the microwave to start. The fresher the soap the bigger the cloud, so we went to the store and bought some fresh bars!


After about 10 seconds you can see it start to grow and grow and grow! We were all fascinated! It comes out looking like a big fluffy cloud!



This was one bar of soap! It drys hard, but if you touch it, it sort of disintegrates to a dusty powder. If you try this, clean or sweep up your mess before you wipe it up because it will be soap and harder to clean up when wet.

We then broke up our clouds into a bowl and added a little water to it and it became sort of gooey and messy and the girls got out my cookie cutters and filled them with the soap.





Now they will have their own little bars of home made soap to take into the tub with them. We have stars, hearts, ice cream cones, and even an owl!! My older granddaughter helped for a few minutes, but she is 11 and would rather be playing video games! I am glad that I have one that still likes to play with Grandma!!

We had to let the soap set in the cookie cutters for a day and they should be ready to come out of their molds today!

Author - Cynthia Dickerson

Saturday, July 7, 2012

New Swing Cover That Was Lost In The Storm!!


You might remember reading last May 2011 in a blog post, that I showed how I repaired a torn cover that my brother had over a swing.  Well, he sent me a picture last week and this is what happened to it.



We had another bad storm come through Ohio and actually a tornado touched down just a street over from him.  He was upset because he and my sister-in-law and their grandson sit out here and swing.  I told him to save it for me and I would see if there was anything I could do. 

After looking it over, I decided that I thought I could make a new one and use the torn one as a pattern. 

Here is how I fixed it.  I went to JoAnn's and after measuring, I figured I needed three yards of material.  He didn't want to pay an arm and a leg to repair it.  He called the company and they sell the covers for $125.00.  He said that was almost as much as what he paid for the whole swing.  Three yards of material cost me $17.50.  I purchased a dark green canvas that was mold and mildew treated.  He can just spray it with some water repellent and it should be good to go!

I laid out the old cover on top of my new material to use it as a pattern.  There were some darts in the corners, so I opened them up so I could cut the fabric exactly as they had.  I pinned everything down to the new material trying to put together the pieces of  the torn cover.  It was like putting together a jig saw puzzle.  I meant to take a picture of it pinned on the new material and I completely forgot.  I must of had a "senior" moment!!  Sorry!!



 I then removed all of the piping trim around the torn canopy because it was still in good shape and I planned on reusing it.  That stuff is so expensive and I knew this would save some money.  There was probably about 8 yards or so.



  It had a skirting that hangs down around the cover and after laying out the pieces I noticed that the skirting that I was using as a pattern was stretched out of shape.  So I had to also allow for these stretched out pieces.  I picked the part of the canopy that looked the straightest and then used that as my guide so the canopy would hang nice and straight.  It had pockets in the four corners where the steel pipe of the swing fit into, so I had to measure and remake those.


 There were also two long strips attached that the actual pipe ran through on the underside to attach the canopy.



Here is my finished canopy.  I got it all sewed together and attached the binding around the canopy and I was praying that it would fit!!

Well it does and my brother was very happy with it!!  Here is the finished picture!!



After we attached it, my husband made the suggestion that I should of embroidered their last name on the front panel of the canopy that hangs down.  Soooo, my brother liked that idea and he is going to give it back to me in the fall and I will be adding the family name to it!!  Won't that be cute!! 

Author - Cynthia Dickerson