Saturday, June 4, 2011

No Sew Outdoor Chair Cover!

My husband and I purchased some new wicker lawn furniture last fall when it was reduced for closeout.  The cushions were in a red sunbrella material.  Even though I new this would not match my front porch, I planned on making new covers.  No Biggie Right??  Well, when I started looking for material to make the new covers, I found out that I did not like the prices.  Anywhere from $20.00 a yard to $40.00.  These covers would of cost more than what I paid for the furniture. 

I guess I should tell you that my front door is Lavender, and red cushions, just would not go.  I really did not want to invest that much money, nor did my purse. 
My husband said "Oh they're fine!"  Well you know how men are.  It doesn't matter if it clashes!  I still wanted to make some covers, so I thought maybe I could just put some sort of sheer material over them or eyelet.  then I came up with the idea to find a curtain or tablecloth in eyelet and see what I could with that.

I went to our local discount store and found a set of curtains and a tablecloth that I liked and here is what I did.  I just turned over the cushions and just sewed them around the cushions in a lace up fashion. It really toned down the red and blends perfectly!  I didn't even ruin the curtains, so some day, it might be hanging somewhere else!  Well here is the final results and I am very happy with it.  Even my husband said, "Hey, I really like that"!.  Best compliment ever!

FINAL PRICE!!!!!  Wait for it!!  Wait for it!!!    $3.50!!  What a deal!!




Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Snowman Coat Sewing Directions!!

I received an email from Char in SW Pennsylvania and she asked if I would elaborate on the making of my snowman coat.  I had a dream and I was wearing this coat.  This never happened to me before and never happened since.  But I woke up and remembered it and thought, I am going to make that coat because I just love snowmen!!  Here are the steps I took to create my coat.

I started with McCall's pattern # 7409.  I traced the pattern pieces I would be using for the coat with freezer paper.  Starting with the front pattern piece, I started by drawing lines on the freezer paper copy and sectioning off the copy in sort of a crazy quilt pattern.  I used different shapes and sizes. After drawing in my lines, I then assigned a number to each of my pattern pieces and then I added lines and arrows connecting the pieces together, so I would know how to put the pieces back together.  This way I would know if I had my pieces upside down or right side up.   Now, I made another copy exactly like the first one and this would be my guide.  Next, I cut my shapes apart on the first copy and the second copy would be my guide for sewing it back together.  (Click on pictures to enlarge)

Now I took my shapes and cut pieces of jean material and left about a one-inch seam allowance all around the shape.  I also copied pictures of all the snowmen embroidery designs that I was going to use.  I laid them on the pieces where I thought they should be embroidered.  Some pieces I embroidered snowmen on, some I left without.  Each shape after being cutout and decided whether it needed embroidery, I would place it back on my second copy that is my guide.  I could then see where I needed embroidery.  After I was happy with my layout, I embroidered on my pieces and then I started sewing pieces back together.  I drew a line  around each pattern piece for a sewing line.  I left the extra 1-inch on each piece just in case things did not line up right.  This was the first time I attempted a project like this, so I was unsure where I was going with it.  It actually went back together very easily.

After I had the entire front piece sewn back together, I topstitched along each seam with a different  decorative stitch and a different color on my sewing machine, so it would have that crazy quilt stitch look to it.

When I had the seams top stitched, then I placed my #7409 pattern piece back on the material and trimmed it up exactly like the pattern.  I repeated these steps for each pattern piece.  Back, sleeves, etc.

 Next came the zipper, when I tried to add my zipper it looked very messy when I turned back the seam when I followed along the pattern directions.  There was the seams and the topstitching that just did not look good turned back to add the zipper. So I decided to make a placket.  I actually sewed the zipper down two sides of jean material the length of the coat then I attached that to the coat and this looked wonderful.  I also lined the coat by copying the same pattern pieces in a flannel material,  and sewed in a lining.  The pattern does not call for a lining, but it was easy to attach.  This is the warmest coat I ever had.  No wind gets through it.  I hope this helps you understand the steps I took to make this and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I can't tell you how many times I have been stopped when I where this coat.  Everyone remarks on it.  Unfortunately, I have lost 30 pounds and now it is a little big on me, so last year, it just hung in the closet. I lost weight, YEAH!! Can't wear my snowman coat, VERY SAD!!

\